Friday, January 27, 2012

Decoupage Table

So I decided to decoupage a side table that I've had for a while. Originally it was very plain, a simple wood table with maple finish. It didn't work with any decor. So after some consideration, I picked a travel theme for it. The materials used came from two sources, Scrapbook paper from Michaels craft store and various pics from a travel magazine. I finished off the table by painting the legs and lower shelf a color called Java Brown in Satin. I forgot to take a "before" photo of it, but heres the result.

I spent about two hours on the decoupage, though the paint took longer because it needed three coats. I sanded the table before starting, which saved me a lot of heartache.

The last step is to apply two coats of poly to the top. This will give it a nice hard protective finish.

The hardest, but also most fun part of this project was picking the materials and deciding on a design. I didn't lay it out first. I started on one corner and worked the design out as I went.

1 comment: